perl-unicode

Re: Encode::Tcl Mistery Solved!

2002-01-28 22:18:21
   There are other places where croak() that should carp() but I'll wait
next breadperl to commit these changes.

That'll be Wednesday or so.

   So much as I feel relieved now, I still feel uncomfortable on the API
of Encode.  UTF8 flag must be explicitly set yet the use of _utf8_on()

No.  Well, kind of.  The general idea is that that "utf8ness" gets
set implicitly, for example by input disciplines.  In general
(if operating in Perl level) an explicit setting of the utf8 flag
should not be necessary, and direct manipulation of the flag should
be considered very suspicious.  That being said, I can see XS level
(or Perl glue of the XS) doing something with the flag.  Please read
pod/perluniintro.pod.

is depreciated.  I am looking for a more elegant way to handle this....

"discouraged" is better than deprecated.

Dan the Man with too Many Charsets to Handle.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen