perl-unicode

Re: Encode; Should we aggregate all EUCs?

2002-02-05 08:43:05
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 05:07:00PM +0100, Andreas Marcel Riechert wrote:
Nick Ing-Simmons <nick(_dot_)ing-simmons(_at_)elixent(_dot_)com> writes:

Perhaps we make "Build CJK encodings?" a Configure question?
We could determine default based on locale, or (as I once
did for a UK/USA paper size choice) by TZ.

Doing so we will have again Perl and something like JPerl, as
we allways had. Close to 100% of my Perl coding is realated to
CJK and I don't like the idea of having two Perls again. Aka,
I don't like to tell some customers etc. to reinstall Perl with
"CJK" support.

Well, it wouldn't be "reinstall", it would be more like "get
more modules from CPAN".  But I agree: we shouldn't diverge.

As a heavy user of Perl I just wanted to tell my objections.

Your milleage may vary,

Andreas Marcel Riechert

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/