perl-unicode

Re: Encode; Should we aggregate all EUCs?

2002-02-05 17:09:27
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 04:29:34PM +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
If I throw jis208.enc into the pot, then without -O it is 12s
and with -O approx 4 minutes for a trivial saving.

Whatever is default on 14550 didn't make a very nice noise while compiling
on my FreeBSD box. Load average was 0.11, and one of the disks was thrashing
a lot. [Unfortunately I have upgraded to hard disks without LED jumpers, so
I can no longer use the front panel blinkenlights to say whether it harassing
the source directory, /tmp, swap or /usr]

Maybe I should figure out how vmstat works, but I have my suspicion that it's
hammering the machine in the wrong way, and maybe it could trade using more
memory for more less disk access in order to compile faster.
[Then again, more memory => swap => disks, and as best I can tell on FreeBSD
less memory => free memory used as extra disk buffers, so the OS is doing its
best however you config things]. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Nicholas Clark
--
EMCFT http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/CV.html