perl-unicode

Re: Reference Unicode Fonts

2002-02-14 20:31:32
On 2002.02.15, at 12:12, Markus Kuhn wrote:
What do you need a *single* font for that covers all languages? I doubt
that this is useful for any other purpose than printing the Unicode book
itself (and even that doesn't use a single font).

Well, what I am working on (getting Encode to work) is close to that. I want to visually check the result of the conversions. After all Unicode gave up the idea of the very feasibility of "Unified font" when they decided to aggregate CJK (and others). So you still need lang= attributes in (HT|X)ML, for instance. Still it would be nice to have a "fallback" font. MacOS X comes with /System/Library/Fonts/LastResort.dfont but I don't know what charsets it convers....

What a font style is differs from script to script (Times Kanji and New
Century Schoolbook Kanji make little sense), therefore I suspect that
fundamentally different scripts will remain in different fonts.

For one thing each of CJK must differ in fonts because fonts are used to differentiate glyphs of the same code points.... Well, we have UCS-4 now and Unicode is now 32bit instead of 16bit. So it is still technically feasible to implement "Unified font"....

Dan the Man with Too Many Fonts and Too Few Code Points