perl-unicode

Re: 5.8 roadmap and Encode

2002-03-01 10:47:51
On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:32:53PM +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
The reason Encode got put into perl-5.7.2 in the first place
was to do for perl/Tk what Tcl's encoding support does for Tcl/Tk.
Now we obviously want it to do a lot more than that - including and
probably more commonly - transport encodings.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of this history. So yes, technically the gb2312
codes are internally indexed at the [0x21-0x77] plane, not the
[0xa1-0xf7] plane.

Although people are also used to index them with the euc-cn.enc A1-F7
planes as easy as the gb2312 21-77 planes; That could be verified by a
diff on both pages -- the difference between these two mappings is only
one bit (literally).

This imho is an unfortunate incident of namespace clash (i.e.
tk-encoding=charmaps with utf-encodings=transports). Hence, I propose
that we rename it to gb2312-raw, as technically it has little to do
with x11 in particular.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/