perl-unicode

Re: No phonetic scripts and still happy?

2002-03-22 03:19:26
On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:06:01AM -0500, Mark Lewellen wrote:
  I would disagree with "Bopomofo is roughly equivalent to hiragana"--

We had different definition to 'roughly', it seems. :-)

1) Hiragana is part of the Japanese written language, whereas Bopomofo
is not part of Chinese written language--Bopomofo is an aid for
pronunciation, used primarily for educating children or for computer
input in Taiwan;

The online writing in Taiwan is abundant with Bopomofo now, although
admittedly not in the same role as hiragana.

2) Bopomofo is alphabetic, whereas Hiragana is syllabic (i.e.
Bopomofo (albeit inconsistently) represent consonant/vowel sounds,
whereas Hiragana represent the pronunciation of an entire syllable).

This is true.

/Autrijus/