perl-unicode

The -san is normal addressing in Japanese like Mr.

2002-03-25 03:46:53
Tagunov-sama,

On Monday, March 25, 2002, at 07:24 , Anton Tagunov wrote:
Hello, Dan!

Would you allow a curiosity question:

you sometimes write "Sadahiro-san" what is this
- a humor
- a normal form of addressing, like Mr.
- something to give honor to a person, like 'de' in French
  language or Esq. in Britain (like John Smith, Esq. - short
  of esquire)

The subject answers your question. To be more exact, "-san" is a casual form of "-sama" and considered casual. Here is a list of Japanese honorifics;

[none] Considered rude; Allowed only within very close friends or family members.
-san            Casual.  Okay for friends but should be avoided in formal
writings
-sama   Formal and universal.  When in doubt, use this one.
-chan   More casual than '-san'.  Used to address kids and females only
         but unisexual these days
-kun Formal but should only be used for juniors. Used to address males
         only but unisexual these days.
-dono Formal but should only be used by (elders|ones with higher social status) to address juniors. But many Japanese tend to forget that. FYI, the Japanese government tend to address its people with this and this really pisses me off (even more than name-calling! I love
         Dan for its simplicity).  Hey, I am Mr. Taxpayer and you public
         servants pay some respect ;)

Dan the Man with Too Many Honorifics to Use