perl-unicode

piconv and EUC :-)

2002-04-10 12:53:11
On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Dan Kogai wrote:

Hi Dan,

       piconv -- iconv(1), reinvented in perl

       piconv is perl version of iconv, a character encoding con-
       verter widely availabe for various unixen today.   This
       script was primarily a technology demostrator for Perl
       5.8.0, you can use piconv in the place of iconv for virtu-
       ally any cases.

  Well, I'm afraid 'virtually any case' is a bit of exaggeration. glibc
iconv and iconv in libiconv can also deal with 'transliteration', but
I'm afraid piconv can't do that, yet :-)

  Another minor note about documentation. I forgot to mention
that 'EUC' in EUC-JP/EUC-KR stands for 'Extended Unix Code'.  I'm sure
it's the original term used by AT&T  because I've seen 'Extended Unix
Code' on many occasions over many years.  There's at least one place in
Encode doc. that 'Extended Unix Character' is used in place of that.

  Cheers,

  Jungshik