perl-unicode

Re: Encode, charnames and utf8heavy

2002-05-01 07:09:42
Speaking of charnames and utf8heavy, charname::viacode() is incredibly
slow (I tried to use it extensively to pretty-comment ucm files.  I gave

Yes, it is.  It's hack.  (Regexps and a small cache.  It *really* sucked
without that cache...)

(And I just remembered that viacode() returning an undef when there's
no corresponding name is by design.)

up and used quicker and dirtier approach originally by NI-XS) and I
don't really like how unicore/ is laid out.  We can at least make use of

Well, some of it is how Unicode Consortium lays out its files :-)

AnyDBM_File (the key-value pairs needed there is totally SDBM_File safe
so we can safely use it!) or if we can spend more memory, Storable.

return <<'END'
0     FFFF
END

is totally counterintuitive and the whitespace in between must be
exactly a single '\t' and that sucks (I've been annoyed why my test
script on InMyOwnDefinition didn't work as expected).

I don't think people should be much writing those definitions by hand.
It would be easy to have a more user-friendly interface for that.

I would like to make this a 5.8.1 todo of mine.....

Whatever you try, it will be tested in the 5.9 branch first.

Dan the Encode Maintainer

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen