perl-unicode

Re: Encode, charnames and utf8heavy

2002-05-01 07:20:25
On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, at 11:04 , Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
Yes, it is.  It's hack.  (Regexps and a small cache.  It *really* sucked
without that cache...)

Oh yes.  I had to say I almost got a hangover :P

(And I just remembered that viacode() returning an undef when there's
no corresponding name is by design.)

It should stay that way because I want to do something like

charname::viacode(0x5f3e)
        or die "Sorry, Unicode Consortium says you are nameless, dan.".

I don't think people should be much writing those definitions by hand.
It would be easy to have a more user-friendly interface for that.

At least we should document it is delimited by a single tab (Oh my python!) or better yet, replace the \t to \s+ in the regex that parses it. I already know where it is so if you accept this idea, I'll send you a patch.

As for the frequency of definition, don't you see it can be a handy way to alias character classes? Who knows how creatively users use the features we add...

I would like to make this a 5.8.1 todo of mine.....

Whatever you try, it will be tested in the 5.9 branch first.

I wonder when the branch will happen....

Dan the Encode Maintainer