perl-unicode

input methods, combining characters

2002-07-11 08:30:04
hello all!

I don't know whether this is the right place to ask -- but you seem like a
friendly bunch, so here goes:

I would like to enter text using combining characters (as in emacs
spanish-prefix mode) using some sort of Readline module.  Specifically I'm
trying to write a spanish verb conjugation program/module and I'd the user
(me!) to be able to input verbs like "sonre'ir" with an actual accent over the
"i".  In other words, I'd like to type an apostrophe, then an "i", and have
them combine into an accented "i".  It seems trivial compared to entering text
in, say, russian or chinese using an american keybord.

I'm hoping there is a good, general solution for multilingual text input,
maybe an extension to Readline::Perl.

Any advice will be heartily appreciated, including "RTFM" if you would be so
kind as to specify which one to read!

Thank you for your time!

Russ Graham