perl-unicode

Re: Encode functionality for Perl 5.6.1

2002-09-21 10:30:05
On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 03:38:31PM +0200, Robert Allerstorfer wrote:
the great Encode module requires perl 5.8. Are there
any backports existing yet that may work with 5.6.1? I am trying to
find a solution to encode Japanese (shiftjis) and Chinese (gb2312
and big5) into utf8 with that perl version since 5.8 is not yet used
widely, unfortunately.

Kogai-san's earlier answer to this should be made a FAQ:

    Well, it was my first intention to make Encode older-perl compliant but
    as I get myself involved deeper and deeper into Encode and Perl 5.8 I am
    more convinced to evangelize 5.8 rather than backport Encode.  I would
    rather want Encode to be one good reason to encourage the switch.

Meanwhile, please try Unicode::Map, but do consider upgrading to 5.8
(and hence Encode.pm) as soon as possible.

Now let's just hope that not all our Encode::* works are lost to Parrot's
ICU interface...

/Autrijus/