perl-unicode

Re: Unicode Perl Dependencies

2002-11-12 09:30:05
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 02:10:43PM -0500, Karl Matthias wrote:

All--
      I am having trouble tracking down some information which I was
hoping to get some help with.
      Our company has an embedded firewall device on which we run a
number of perl scripts.  We have a shrunken perl5 distribution which we
use to save flash space on our machines.  When trying to move to perl 5.8
I have encountered a large number of additional files which must be
included because of the Unicode support.  I am trying to figure out which
of the files I actually need.  The whole unicode tree is somewhere near
5MB which would be about 25% of our entire ditribution.  That's not

5MB?  Really?  That small?  Ahhh, I guess that this is the unicore/
directory.  You should be able to just nuke it.

acceptable, so I'm trying to figure out which files we actually need from
that tree.  We will never use the Unicode support so if there is some way

If one is really never going to use any of the Unicode support,
after install one should be able to

        rm -rf $Config{installprivlib}/Encode
        rm -rf $Config{installprivlib}/unicore
        rm -rf $Config{installprivlib}/Unicode
        rm -rf $Config{installprivlib}/utf8*
        rm -rf $Config{installarchlib}/Encode*
        rm -rf $Config{installarchlib}/Unicode
        rm -rf $Config{installarchlib}/auto/Encode
        rm -rf $Config{installarchlib}/auto/Unicode

Another way would be to disable the Encode and Unicode::* extensions
already during the configure/build, that way only the unicore and
utf8* removals from the above would be needed.  But judging by your
5 MB figure it sounds like that's what you have done.

to actually just remove (not that I've found so far), that would be

So you have tried removing the unicore/ directory?  If so, what happened?

preferential.  Otherwise if someone has some information and/or advice on
how to track down which parts we do need, I'd be quite appreciative.
Thanks very much

Karl Matthias

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this