perl-unicode

ansi & perl

2002-11-16 19:30:05
Hello, I don't you to loose your time, but I start to learn Perl for my
own about 6/7 days ago, and now I've got a problem to submit to you:
     I tried to read a name of a directory or a file in Windows to reporting
     them in a XML file using utf8 or ISO8859 encoding and when I find a char
     like è/à/ò/é or similar the Perl's reading make a mistake like that:

   If the name complete of the file is "febbraiò.jpg" the result is that one:

Name: febbrai?
Ext: jpg
febbrai?.jpg

             The question is: which kind of encoding is that ?
             Can I resolve this problem and How ??
Thank you so much.

Paolo Carta