perl-unicode

Re: Encode 1.87 and later don't pass make test on static perl

2003-03-07 02:30:04
Dan Kogai wrote:

Sorry, my finger has slipped.

On Thursday, Mar 6, 2003, at 22:48 Asia/Tokyo, Dan Kogai wrote:

On Thursday, Mar 6, 2003, at 04:10 Asia/Tokyo, Blair Zajac wrote:
Hello,

I have several self compiled copies of Perl 5.8.0, one of which is
compiled to be statically linked (for Perl modules that is, not libc
and other system libraries) so I can profile the code using gcc -pg.

How EXACTLY did you do so?  Here is a recommended way.

0) rm -rf perl-5.8.0/ext/Encode
1) untargzip Encode-1.xx and mv that perl-5.8.0/ext/Encode
2) update perl-5.8.0/MANIFEST
3) configure perl
4) make and make test

Maybe you should start over w/ a fresh copy of perl-5.8.0 as well.

Well, I got it working with Encode 1.89 without having to compile a new
Perl.

The problem was that all of the Encode .a's from the currently installed
perl are listed before when the newly compile Encode .a's when the new
static perl binary is linked.  I won't list the link line here because it's
pretty long.

I had to edit the Makefile.aperl by hand to remove all references to the
currently installed Encode .a's and then I was able to compile, link and
pass make test.

Thanks for the hints to look in the correct place.

Somebody should probably look at fixing this permanently, not that a lot
of people build purely static perl's.

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <blair(_at_)orcaware(_dot_)com>
Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/