perl-unicode

Re: Caseless and accentless string comparisons

2003-05-12 00:30:05
On Sun, 11 May 2003 22:44:36 -0400, Ben Bennett
<fiji(_at_)ayup(_dot_)limey(_dot_)net> said:

  > I am writing a perl module that can take a name as an argument to look
  > up the namedays for the name.  However, I would like to be able to do
  > a caseless and accentless comparison on the names.  The caseless part
  > is pretty simple, I can just lc both (since lc is safe in Unicode
  > rather than uc which may get odd with titlecase).

  > What is the equivalent transformation to remove accents?  perluniintro
  > says that you should do that in some cases, but doesn't say how.  I
  > have poked around a bit and nothing springs out at me.  Is there a
  > preferred way to do this?  Should I decompose the string then remove
  > the accent characters?  This seems really kludgy so there must be a
  > better way.

Module id = Text::Unidecode
    CPAN_USERID  SBURKE (Sean M. Burke <sburke(_at_)cpan(_dot_)org>)
    CPAN_VERSION 0.04
    CPAN_FILE    S/SB/SBURKE/Text-Unidecode-0.04.tar.gz
    MANPAGE      Text::Unidecode -- US-ASCII transliterations of Unicode text

--
andreas