perl-unicode

Re: Caseless and accentless string comparisons

2003-05-13 08:30:05

Or will this break in locales that have different meanings for the
different levels?  (Is there a reference for what the different levels
mean in different locales?)

maybe so if tailored differently.

e.g. JIS X 4061:1996 [Collation of Japanese Character Strings]
specifies that Greek and Cyrrilic are always case-sensitive
and the case-ignoring collation is carried out only for Latin.
(e.g. "small omega" is before "CAPITAL ALPHA".)

BTW the update to UTS is pretty cool, addressing some major
shortcomings of the current version (but totally frightening).

One last question, how come allkeys.txt is not distributed with the
Unicode::Collate module (or in a separate wrapper module).  The way it
works now is kind of annoying since there is no good way to write a
build dependency on it.  It would be cool if a recent release were in
the module and if you have the appropriate modules it could get the
most current version off the website at install time (after asking).

I'm sorry, reasons why allkeys.txt is not included in the package are:

(1) its huge file size.

(2) overwrite of updated allkeys.txt may break
    someone's tailoring for old allkeys.txt.

(3) I'm not sure of the way to install a file
    with a suffix other than .pm
    (hmmm, is it ok only by writing MANIFEST like this?)

Changes
Makefile.PL
MANIFEST
README