perl-unicode

Regex on a mixed bag of unicode/ascii in a .txt file

2003-07-29 14:30:14
I was asked to search a .cmd (windows NT scripting) file looking for
specific text occurences. I re-saved this file as a .txt file, and soon
found it was chock-full of very strange-looking characters mixed in with
regular text. My standard regex scripts can easily search reams of .doc,
.txt, and html files, but in this case the searching seemed to stop when the
regex hit these odd characters.

Was hoping that the default byte-only kind of searching for 5.6.1 would
"float-over" wierd things it did not recognize and just keep looking for
text. This did not seem to be happening.

I use Activestate Perl 5.6.1 on Windows XP, and can also access a Unix box
with Perl.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Thanks!