perl-unicode

speed and perlunicode

2003-09-19 00:30:04
I've got two CGI scripts, one uses the old byte semantics (and
techniques from the 5.00? days, including things like *data =
parseInput();). The other uses character semantics, Encode,
"open ( $pgHandle, '<:encoding(shiftjis)' $source )" and such.

The byte semantics version is about five times as fast, and I'm
wondering if that difference is likely to be due to Encode and Unicode
character semantics.

I'm reading about 600KB of shift-JIS csv and using the above open
statement. Then I'm depending on
use encoding SRC_ENCODING, STDOUT => HTML_ENCODING
to convert output to shift-jis on the fly, for compatibility with other
pages on the site.

I tried storing the data file as utf-8, but the page load completely
stalls. (I guess I need to insert some debug prints and see what
happened.)

Would sure appreciate some pointers.

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan

"When software is patentable, anything is patentable."
(http://swpat.ffii.org)