perl-unicode

Re: roundtrip conversion for Mac OS CJK encodings

2003-09-28 02:30:06
SADAHIRO Tomoyuki <bqw10602(_at_)nifty(_dot_)com> writes:
Hello.

For round-trip fidelity, Mac OS CJK encodings include many characters
with mapping a single character in a Mac OS encoding
to a sequence of standard Unicode characters.
(cf. ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/README.TXT )

In the case of Encode.pm, such characters are marked with |3
("reverse fallback", only from the encoding to Unicode, but not back),
so roundtrip conversion is not achieved.

I think I copied those markings from ICU. I am not 100% sure that fallbacks
are "compiled" correctly, and I am not an expert on CJK stuff.
If it would be more "perlish" to make the round-trip conversion work
by default Encode.pm can be less pedantic than ICU and allow it.

I have implemented some modules that allow roundtrip conversion
for Mac OS CJK encodings, according to mappings in
  http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/

tarballs
http://homepage1.nifty.com/nomenclator/perl/Lingua-ZH-MacChineseSimp-0.01.tar.gz
http://homepage1.nifty.com/nomenclator/perl/Lingua-ZH-MacChineseTrad-0.01.tar.gz