perl-unicode

Question on perl's /p{...} vs Unicode::UCD and perl 5.8.0 vs 5.8.1

2003-10-01 22:30:04

I have a few quite general questions...

Is there any quick summary of the unicode support changes in perl
5.8.1 (apart from the support of unicode 4.0)? BTW, I read the
perldelta.

Are there compelling reasons to upgrade to 5.8.1 if one is doing a lot
of work with unicode? Are these general improvements (speed, fixing
common problems, etc) or quite specific (e.g., to some set of scripts).

I make lots of use of Unicode::UCD (thanks Jarkko). Some of what I do,
I could instead do more succinctly with various \p{...} constructs.
Can I be sure that doing things via \p{...} is really going to be
identical (in result) to using Unicode::UCD? This question is too
general I guess.  For example, if I use \p{Thai} for something, will
this (in all cases) give me the same thing as using charscript('Thai')
and then charinrange? So I'm really asking if there are any known
discrepancies between these two. Perhaps these things are known to be
identical? Sorry if this sounds like a strange question. I can
re-phrase it if it's not clear enough.

Thanks,
Terry.