perl-unicode

Re: Is there a way to disable utf8 from inside the script?

2003-10-03 11:30:13
All,

I finally got the answer. The person who built our copy of Perl
found it. Although the statement "use open ':bytes';" would only
work on Dos/Windoze machines, there is a simple way to process
real binary data in a Unicode environment. For the record, the
answer is:

use bytes;

See:
http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/lib/bytes.html

Simon

Simon Favre wrote:
Greetings,

Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseum before. I looked
at some previous perl-unicode messages on related topics, and tried a
few things I found there and on perldoc.com with no success. Here's
the deal:

OS: Linux Red Hat 8.0 (I didn't install it)
Perl: 5.8.0 (I didn't build it)
Data: GDS-2 layout database (a REAL binary file)