perl-unicode

Re: Unicode::Collate question

2003-11-29 09:30:05
I want to correctly sort words in a variety of languages, currently
French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, German and Arabic. I am using
Perl 5.8.1 and unicode. I think I need Unicode::Collate to have
*correct* sorting. Is this correct?

In addition to the problems listed by Sadahiro (most importantly that the UCA is not "correct" for any particular language, it is just a baseline ordering that is used for Unicode character data) I think it is worth pointing out that trying to sort multilingual data is practically doomed to fail sooner or later
because many language-specific rules simply are contradictory.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special