perl-unicode

Re: Creating a UTF-8 web page

2004-04-07 09:30:13
Le 7 avr. 04, à 09:21, Octavian Rasnita a écrit :

Hi all,

Please tell me if there is a way to create a web page encoded as UTF-8 (like
Google's page) using perl.

I have tried more modules but without success.
The UTF-8 string is created fine (I think) but I don't know how to print
those 3 special characters at the beginning of the file for letting the
browser know that it is UTF-8 encoded. If I just put "UTF-8" charset in the HTTP or HTML header, the browser knows that is UTF-8 encoded, but each bit
is printed, and not each UTF-8 character.

You don't need a BOM (I assume that's what you mean by "those 3 special characters").
A HTTP header is sufficient, e.g.:

Be aware that this will override any charset setting in the HTML's META tag.

And I see that I cannot view that web page with an editor like Notepad.

Caveat: I don't know Notepad, but this applies to any software:
Maybe Notepad doesn't know how to display UTF-8, or possibly
it does but you need to tell it what encoding the file is in,
a lot of programs use a default encoding such as ISO-8859-1 when
opening a file.

Do you have any idea how can I create a page like Google's?

Thank you.

Teddy

--
Eric Cholet