perl-unicode

Re: Interpretation of non-UTF8 strings

2004-08-16 07:30:06
Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:

Python explicitly distinguishes byte strings and Unicode strings,
which allows the two models to coexist without ambiguity.

I think that (not doing) this was the basic failure of the Perl Unicode
model.  We made a valiant attempt at making them the same and allowing
old legacy code to work, and I think we got close, but the scheme could
carry us only so far.

Actually I thought that the Perl implementation of Unicode was pretty
good, at least since 5.8.0... (5.6.x series was kind of broken IMHO, and
there was no 'Encode'...).

Gee, thanks, in that case could everyone please erase from their minds
what I just said :-)  Normally people just bitch on and on about how
Perl's Unicode is sooo broken, which is not exactly a motivation builder
for me...

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this
special