perl-unicode

Re: Interpretation of non-UTF8 strings

2004-08-16 08:30:09

To make it all work I just had to:

- Subclass CGI.pm (so that strings are marked as UTF-8)

- Write an SQL layer that marks all the string that come from MySQL as
UTF-8 (3.21 doesn't support unicode but it doesn't mean that you can't
store Unicode text in Blobs...). For good measure, I also make sure that
all the strings are stored in NFC (useful for searches and stuff when
using a non-unicode aware system...)

- Make my templating system Petal slightly aware of Unicode and serve
all the pages as UTF-8.

And then whamo! Everything works fine. As long as you make sure that
your strings are properly encoded in Perl's internal format, "It Just
Works..."

Sounds cool.

Would you be interested in writing a perl.com article on this?  Or at
least a white paper.  I think many people would find it interesting and
useful.  Contact Simon Cozens, tell him I sent you :-)

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this
special