perl-unicode

Re: Interpretation of non-UTF8 strings

2004-08-16 09:30:07

Also, 'use encoding' must still have the encoding specified literally,

Which makes a kind of sense to me.
'use encoding qw(...)'
(mainly) sets meaning of literals in the script.
Presumably you know what encoding you are in when you write
your script, but you don't know what locale user will be in when script
gets run.

Good point.  But the encoding pragma controls other things than just the
script encoding, and I like giving users too much rope, and the change
to support :locale for encoding is trivial, so I'll try.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this
special