perl-unicode

Re: Interpretation of non-UTF8 strings

2004-08-22 13:30:06

- file contents, including stdin/stdout/stderr and sockets,
  unless overridden explicitly
- filenames (including functions like mkdir, stat, glob)
- arguments of system and exec
- @ARGV
- %ENV
- $! when it contains the result of strerror()
- and probably other similar things I've forgotten.

Yes, there are still many holes in our "Unicode armor", as is documented
in the perlunicode.  Where we more are less stopped for 5.8 was where
the unportabilities between operating systems became evident and harder
to resolve.  I know you care only for your platform but Perl has to
consider all the platforms: currently at least Linux, Win32, and Mac OS
X have "serious" Unicode platform support.  Being portable over the
filesystems, CLIs, and APIs is no fun.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this
special