perl-unicode

RE: Question about converting utf8 to ascii and char refs

2004-10-27 06:30:23

Ok so that should work given the string has utf8 flag set.

I guess the problem may be that my string doesn't have it set.

I'm getting the string as output from XML::DOM::Document->toString, so I
should investigate with that module why isn't setting the utf8 flag.

Thanks

Aaron

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Ing-Simmons [mailto:nick(_at_)ing-simmons(_dot_)net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 5:25 AM
To: aaron(_at_)starwoodhotels(_dot_)com
Cc: 'perl-unicode(_at_)perl(_dot_)org'
Subject: Re: Question about converting utf8 to ascii and char refs

Aaron Siladi <aaron(_at_)starwoodhotels(_dot_)com> writes:
I have a UTF-8 string which I want to output as ascii and have the UTF8
characters converted to numeric character references.

I tried using Encode with the FB_HTMLCREFS fail back option enabled, but
for
the 2 byte UTF8 characters, 2 incorrect char refs were printed out instead
of the correct one.

You mean like this:
--------------------------------------
#!perl
use Encode;
my $s = chr(0x100)."4";
my $n = encode('ascii',$s,Encode::FB_HTMLCREF);
print "$n\n";
__END__
Works for me:
nick(_at_)llama:/home/p4work/mail> perl /tmp/try
&#256;4

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Aaron

This electronic message transmission contains information from the Company
that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged.
The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity
named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, be
aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents
of this information is prohibited.  If you have received
this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately
by replying to the address listed in the "From:" field.