perl-unicode

Re: Make Encode.pm support the real UTF-8

2004-12-03 22:30:05
On Dec 04, 2004, at 11:51, Larry Wall wrote:
On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 10:12:12PM +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:
: I've no problem with 'utf8' being perl's unrestricted uft8 encoding,
: but "UTF-8" is the name of the standard and should give the
: corresponding behaviour.

For what it's worth, that's how I've always kept them straight in my head.

Also for what it's worth, Perl 6 will mostly default to strict but make
it easy to switch back to lax.

Larry

Okay, Looks like the verdict is reached.

1.  "utf8" will stay liberal
2.  "UTF-8" will be strict

The rest is mostly implemenation.

2.1. What will the canonnical name of the strict version of "UTF-8" be ? Gisle already submitted me a test patch and it uses 'utf-8-strict'. If there is no objection, I would like to use that.

2.2. CAVEAT: "UTF8" will be "utf8", not "utf-8-strict", since Encode aliasing is case insensitive.

2.3.  Degree of stricture. How strict are we going to make utf-8-strict?
   a. simply make use of UTF8_ALLOW_* in utf8.h ?
   b. unmapped codepoints banned as well?
IMHO a. is strict enough since mapped codepoints are subject to increase
   as Unicode Standard updates.

2.4   We can always make "UTF-8" liberal by reapplying alias.

Anything else missing?

Dan the Encode Maintainer