perl-unicode

Re: iso-2022-jp encoding on EBCDIC

2005-12-15 12:50:34
Rajarshi Das <dazio_r(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> writes:
 Hi,

 The following two line script gives an error on z/OS : "Unknown encoding
'iso-2022-
 jp' at line ..".
 -----------------
 use Encode; use encoding 'iso-2022-jp';
 ------------

On an EBCDIC platform like z/OS that is going to be one strange script. It must
START in some EDCDIC dialect and after the ; must switch to iso-2022-jp which
is an escape encoding and as I recall uses ASCII-oid escapes.

 How do we confirm if iso-2022-jp is supported on z/OS or not ? Or if it is
 supported and not working as expected for some reason ?

"
package Encode::JP;
BEGIN {
    if (ord("A") == 193) {
        die "Encode::JP not supported on EBCDIC\n";
    }
}
"

So it seems authors have specifically excluded EBCDIC case.

 Any pointers to the source where this encoding is defined ? The pointers
 might help understand why it is not defined on an EBCDIC platform.

 I printed Encode->encodings() on linux as well as z/OS and they are
 identical (and both donot contain iso-2022-jp). Is this in anyway related to
 the above problem ?

 Thanks, Rajarshi.

Yahoo! Shopping Find Great Deals on Holiday Gifts at Yahoo! Shopping