perl-unicode

Re: Encode::decode_utf8 and references

2006-06-18 20:06:42
Sam,

On Jun 18, 2006, at 04:34 , Sam Tregar wrote:
Hello all.  I'm maintaining a Perl app which relies on a possibly
incorrect behavior in Encode::decode_utf8 - references are expected to
pass through unmangled.  This worked fine until a recent upgrade.
Observe Encode v2.08 with Perl v5.6.1:

  $ perl -MEncode -MData::Dumper -e \
'my $ref = Encode::decode_utf8({ foo => 1}); print Dumper ($ref);'
  $VAR1 = {
            'foo' => 1
          };

I can't help wondering how you got Encode to install.

This is what you'd see when you tried perl Makefile.PL when you tried to do so.

% ~/perl562/bin/perl Makefile.PL
Perl v5.7.3 required--this is only v5.6.2, stopped at Makefile.PL line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 1.

However, Encode v2.18 with Perl v5.6.1 is not so forgiving:

  $ perl -MEncode -MData::Dumper -e \
'my $ref = Encode::decode_utf8({ foo => 1}); print Dumper ($ref);'
  $VAR1 = 'HASH(0x9932180)';

So, is this a bug in Encode or a bug in my app?  I'm leaning towards
the latter but I thought I'd check with you before I started trying
to fix it (no tests, argh!).  Aside from "don't do that", can you
suggest a fix?

Thanks,
-sam

0th of all, Encode requires Perl 5.8 and above (Perl 5.7.3 to be more exact but it's a developer version). I have no idea what you use Encode. All I know is I cannot support your case.

Dan the Maintainer Thereof