perl-unicode

RE: Problem with Encode module

2006-07-07 14:40:51
Thanks for the reply. Are you sure those characters don't exist n
shift-jis?  Please take a look at the attached text file. It contains
two characters ("1" in a circle and "2" in a circle). The file is in
shift-jis encoding.

Thanks,
Jianyang

-----Original Message-----
From: John Delacour [mailto:JD(_at_)BD8(_dot_)COM]
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 6:24 AM
To: Jianyang Tai; perl-unicode(_at_)perl(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Problem with Encode module

At 10:31 am -0700 23/6/06, Jianyang Tai wrote:

I encountered some problem with the Encode module when I convert some
Japanese contents from shift-jis to utf-8. Basically I am using the
from_to subroutine to do the job. All work well except for those number

inside a circle characters (8740 ~ 8754). The unicode range for those
characters is 2460 ~ 2473. However, the from_to doesn't convert them
correctly. For 8740 (1 inside a little circle), what I got was "FFFD
0040".

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Is this a known issue or

there is something wrong with the original shift-jis text? Any advise
is very appreciated.

Those characters do not exist in shift-jis but only in GB18030 and in
the MacOS Japanese, Korean and Chinese (both) character sets.

JD