I have downloaded ActiveState for windows, and cannot get scripts to run other
then the perl -v and perl -h command.
The hello program was saved to the desktop in a folder called "perlscripts".
The commands typed in the console window are as follows.
cd \desktop
cd \perlscripts
perl hello.pl

This outputs the hello.pl script text file instead of just "hello world".
 The example.pl script in ActivePerl will not output anything.
 When the command "perl -w perlscipts" is run, the following error is:
"panic: utf16_to_utf8: odd bytelen 47 at hello.pl line1."
 I have been advised this looks like a user error, and that Perl will handle
UTF character sets, but it needs to prepared before it
encounters them, that the error message looks like what results when you pass
UTF data to a Perl that has not had the necessary module loaded into the
interpreter. Could anyone advise where I could find the necessary module and
how to load it to the interpreter? or how I could work around this.

Regards,
Gemma