perl-unicode

Unicode problem

2008-09-11 04:24:05
I have downloaded ActiveState for windows, and cannot get scripts to run.
The hello program was saved to the desktop in a folder called "perlscripts".
The commands typed in the console window are as follows.
cd \desktop
cd \perlscripts
perl hello.pl

This outputs the whole hello.pl script text file instead of just "hello world".
 The example.pl script in ActivePerl will not output anything.
 When the command "perl -w perlscipts" is run, the following error is:
"panic: utf16_to_utf8: odd bytelen 47 at hello.pl line1."

The command "perl -v" outputs the installation version of Perl, The "perl -h"
command also outputs the list of Perl commands.

.
Perl will handle UTF character sets, but it needs to prepared before it
encounters them. I have been advised the message looks like what you get when
you pass UTF data to a Perl that has not had the necessary module loaded into
the interpreter. Would appreciate advise how I could find the necessary module
and how to load it to interpreter. or if there is a workaround this, should
I save the file in the different unicode format.
Regards
Gemma