Shooting myself in the foot with procmail

1995-10-05 11:26:27
I have a very simple recipe in my .procmailrc:

:0:
*       ^TO(announcements|vision)\.chi@
        chi

Unfortunately, I neglected to put the '*' in.  So all my mail which
wasn't auto-filed by a preceding recipe naturally ended up in a folder
named "^TO(announcements|vision).chi@".

I hate it when I do that.

I wonder how difficult it would be to add a feature to protect idiots
like me from ourselves.  It would be nice if procmail would warn the
user somehow if a folder name looked more like a regexp than like a
filename.

I think the logic is relatively simple.  If an action line does not
start with one of [|!{\./A-Za-z0-9] or contains any of the usual regexp
metacharacters, it's likely to be a regexp, and, therfore, an error.

"Procmail: robust but not idiot-proof."

== Bob