Re: Phantom Email Addresses

1995-11-01 19:14:41
Paul Kenna <pkenna(_at_)vicnet(_dot_)net(_dot_)au> wrote:
As my students will be using the system for between one week and one
semester I dont want to (nor do not have the ability to) have separate
alias' for each student but rather have all mail go through
<students(_at_)auservices(_dot_)com>.

1.  To modify the "name" on the "name" <students(_at_)auservices(_dot_)com> on
the TO

Many mailers and most autorepliers throw away this information when
replying.

2.  To add an extra header line to the mail under the TO line such as
STUDENT: Bundoora Secondary College "name" and filter all replys for that

All mailers and autorepliers will throw away this field when replying.

The  likely mail useage would be to autorepliers, other students in the
group and general email useage.

The solutions you proposed will only work if *you* control the mailprograms
that send mail to your student account.

More universal solutions would include:
1. A scheme where you have a fixed number of aliases, say "student1",
   "student2", etc.  Then hand out the existing alias to a different
   student (every semester).
2. If your site is running sendmail 8.7.x, use addresses of the form:

        student+realperson(_at_)auservices(_dot_)com
--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl

The eleventh commandment: Thou shalt not re-curse!