Re: mail to exmh gets misplaced with procmail

1995-11-01 19:21:32
The ^FROM_MAILER and ^FROM_DAEMON macros have been carefully tuned in the
past five years.  In fact they do give off false matches, every now and then.
But this is far better than missing some that should have been matched.
The problem is that it can be made a bit more accurate at the expense of
speed and size.

The canonical way of dealing with false matches is to make sure that
recipes in the .procmailrc file are roughly in the following order:

1. Recipes that catch and file mailinglists.
2. Autoreply recipes.
3. Recipes that catch postmaster bounces.
4. Anything else (your default mailbox).

Stephen, wouldn't it be better to switch 2 and 3.  I'm always worried
that bounced mail I recieve as postmaster/root will fire off my
autoreply recipes.  Of course, I use a X-Loop header to sink mail
loops, but better safe than sorry.

Richard Coleman
coleman(_at_)math(_dot_)gatech(_dot_)edu