Re: calling procmail from /etc/aliases

1995-11-09 13:33:45
Nancy McGough asked,

| Hmmmmm, I just realized that maybe I should just have it pipe the
| message to a script, e.g.:
|
| foo: "|/home/nancym/bin/procfoo"
|
| and then procfoo will invoke procmail and I'll be able to edit
| procfoo whenever I want.  What do you think of that?

It works very well for me, but a lot depends on whether smrsh (if installed)
and your sysadmin trust you to put nothing non-destructive into the script.

Remember that the script will not necessarily be invoked under your
permissions; it is likely to run totally unprivileged (as user "nobody" and
group "nogroup").  Of course, if the procmail binary that it calls is setuid
root (or, with certain OSes setuid to you and setgid to your login group),
that won't be a problem.