Re: Bounceing/forwarding

1995-11-18 11:29:49
Ka Lam <g5kalam(_at_)cdf(_dot_)toronto(_dot_)edu> writes:
I tried the script you gave me.  But it still not come out as what I
expected.  I would like to have the From: field with the Orgional
senter's name and address in it.  And I want to have all those messy
header from the orgional not included as text of the email.  Do you have
more idea on it?  I wonder if it's possible to get what PINE sends out to
SENDMAIL when doing a bounce command...

Can you please a) include the exact text of the recipe from your
.procmailrc and b) include the headers from a message after it was
forwarded by that recipe?  Without at least the first of those there's
not much anyone can do beyond guess.  The recipe as given should have
left the "From:" header alone, and all the headers should have stayed
in the header and not moved into the body, though Stephen is correct
about leaving out the Resent-Date and Resent-Message-Id parts.

Do note, however, that the "From " pseudo-header (it's actually just
the UNIX style mailbox delimiter) will change, and there really isn't
anything you can do about it.  The "From " header usually contains the
envelope sender, and is thus forced to be whoever last sent the message
(while for mailing lists it's usually the address of the mailing list
software).  Indeed, even if you could change it to be the original
sender, you shouldn't, as the envelope sender is used for error
messages, and _you_ should be getting any error messages from
forwarding, not the original sender.

(I believe that this came up a few ago on the list, and was fairly well
covered then.  If the above doesn't make sense, or seems incorrect,
please first consult the archive, and if I still seem wrong, send me
personal email.  Let's keep it off the list.)

Philip Guenther

Philip Guenther                 UNIX Systems and Network Administrator
Internet: guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu   Phonenet: (507) 933-7596
Gustavus Adolphus College       St. Peter, MN 56082-1498
I am _not_ a representative sample of the Gustavus Community.  Yeah, right...
Source code never lies (it just misleads).  (Programming by Purloined Letter?)