procmail as a complex(?) local MDA

1995-12-07 05:43:23

Remember my question about directory hashing? Well, I got it running
beautifully...

What I need now, is a way to get procmail lookup 3 databases in order to find
out if a local address really exists:

The unix passwd database and the MTA aliases database (obviously), but also,
for the majority of addresses which don't have any unix account on the
mailboxes server but are registered, in a possibly remote database.

So, is it possible, from procmail and/or sendmail, to lookup in those three
databases (calling a C program or a Perl script, maybe?), and using the result
to:

        1. use the standard mailbox directory if the address is in the unix
passwd
database.
        2. send the mail to the alias
        3. do mailbox directory hashing using the address if it is found in the
remote(?) database

I am thinking of three solutions, but I don't know which one of them is the
most reliable/feasible one:

        1. determine those conditions in sendmail, and use procmail only for
the
third one
        2. determine those conditions in procmail, and fork sendmail for the
two
first conditions
        3. use a completly rewritten local MDA, possibly forking procmail for
the
third condition (let's hope we won't be writting something as complex as
sendmail :-))

Some interesting precisions:
- the computer (or cluster of computers, if load becomes high) won't be
relaying mail to the outdoors, only process mail from a mailhub to the local
addresses.
- the sendmail USERDB configuration is not an option, for obvious (nonexistent
unix accounts) reasons.

--
Benjamin Ryzman         mailto:zarkdav(_at_)eddy(_dot_)freenix(_dot_)fr
Solutions Vocales       http://deepthought.sv.vtcom.fr