Re: Regexp macros & Apparently-To:

1995-12-29 07:50:07
R Hannes Beinert <oracle(_at_)dodona(_dot_)com> wrote:
1.  Are procmail macros (TO, FROM_MAILER, FROM_DAEMON, etc) pre-compiled
   in any way to make them more efficient?  Specifically, if I were to
   use my own slightly modified versions of their regexp, would I be
   paying a disproportionately high price in performance efficiency?

No.  They are not precompiled.  They are written in a fashion that optimises
both compilation and execution speed.
So simply copying them and writing them out will not cost you anything
in performance.

2.  Could anyone point me in the direction of an RFC, FYI, or other
   document which might explain the semantic to the header
   "Apparently-To:"?  Or, is this header used by informal convention?

Informal convention.  The source of sendmail.  Check the op.me doc that
comes with the sendmail release.
In a nutshell, it's added by sendmails *prior* to version 8.7.0 whenever
there is no To or Cc field on a mail.
--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl

Real programmers don't just die, they produce core dumps.