Re: Help needed with auto-reply

1996-01-26 06:34:56
On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Pankaj Saxena wrote:

This is a very elementary question. If you consider it too simple for the
mailing list, please reply directly to me.

I'm trying to set up my mailer so it autoreplies to any messages
containing a certain keyword in the subject line. The auto-reply reads in
a file and sends it to whoever sent me the message with the keyword.

So far, I've used procmail to sort incoming mail from mailing lists. Not
knowing procmail very well, I used a script from the promailex manual pages:

               :0
               * !^From +YOUR_USERNAME
               * !^Subject:.*Re:
               * !^FROM_DAEMON
               * ^Subject:.*retrieve
               | (formail -r ; cat info_file) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

The script works great, that is, it returns mail with my file "info_file"
to anyone who sends me mail with the keyword "retrieve" in the subject
line. The problem is, the mail they send me with the request vanishes. It
is not in my INBOX or anywhere in my account. I have no idea what happens
to it after it's processed.

I'd like to modify the script so that it saves each request in a folder
called "IN.requests", and then auto-replies to the sender. That way, I'd
have a record of whom I sent the auto-reply to.

Could someone tell me how to modify the script above to keep a record of
incoming requests to which the script auto-replies?

Thanks.

Pankaj Saxena
pankaj(_at_)uic(_dot_)edu

The correct form of the recipe is:

                :0 h c
                * !^From +YOUR_USERNAME
                * !^FROM_DAEMON
                | (formail -r ; cat info_file) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

Regards,
Luke

|  Luca Molteni         E-Mail:
molteni(_at_)ic8wd2(_dot_)settimo(_dot_)italtel(_dot_)it |
|  Italtel SIT SpA                                                |
|  Castelletto di Settimo Milanese                                |
|  Milano - Italy                                                 |