Re: Unidentified subject!

1996-01-31 20:47:38
Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> writes:
Bill Moseley <moseley(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com> writes:
I've got a recipe that I use to rename a file using mv.

Procmail will still provide the mail message on stdin to the mv, so this
is no more efficient.  I think the current feeling is that something like:

:0 wcih
| /usr/bin/mv $FILE $FILE.save

is best.  Note that this uses the 'h' flag to send only the header,
as it's usually smaller than the body.

How about something like:

:0 wcih
| cat - >/dev/null; /usr/bin/mv $FILE $FILE.save

I always try to toss any unused stdin to /dev/null on the theory
that that strategy is most efficient, and won't pop out anywhere
to haunt me later.  Am I wasting effort here?

jimo(_at_)eskimo(_dot_)com