Re: Unidentified subject!

1996-02-01 11:43:24
Jim Osborn <jimo(_at_)eskimo(_dot_)com> wrote:
Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> writes:
is no more efficient.  I think the current feeling is that something like:

:0 wcih
| /usr/bin/mv $FILE $FILE.save

How about something like:

:0 wcih
| cat - >/dev/null; /usr/bin/mv $FILE $FILE.save

I always try to toss any unused stdin to /dev/null on the theory
that that strategy is most efficient, and won't pop out anywhere
to haunt me later.  Am I wasting effort here?

This doesn't buy you anything.  It hurts performance.
Stick to what Philip suggested.
--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl

"Well, if we're going to make a party of it, let's nibble Nobby's nuts!"