Re: Question about porcmail

1996-02-07 08:30:06
beauty(_at_)power(_dot_)maxima(_dot_)com(_dot_)tw writes:
I am wondering if procmail can handle the mail that got the domain name right
but invalid user without returning it to the sender?
eg.    no-one(_at_)my(_dot_)email(_dot_)address where my.email.address is
right but
      no-one is not a user on my.email.address
      usually the mail is returning to the sender, how about I don't
      want to return it, but store in a folder.

This would be better done by the MTA (say, sendmail), rather than by
procmail.  The MTA needs to check whether the user needs to exist
anyway so that it can look for a .forward (or .maildelivery, etc)
file.  Normally, procmail will never see non-existent users, but the
MTA will bounce the message.  This is good, as it allows the bounce to
occur during the SMTP conversation (that is, the RCPT TO: command will
get a 550 return code).

If you really want to do this, you should ask the expert on your
MTA for the details.  If you're using sendmail, try comp.mail.sendmail
Ideally, this should be done _not_ by removing the 'w' flag from the
local mailer (for sendmail 8.7.x), but by a new rule (probably in
ruleset 5, but maybe not) that uses the passwd map to check for this
_after_ the local mailer has been selected.  You can then redirect
the message by, say, calling ruleset 97 (which calls 0) with a 'known'
local address which would be aliased to a file.

Philip Guenther

Philip Guenther                 UNIX Systems and Network Administrator
Internet: guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu   Phonenet: (507) 933-7596
Gustavus Adolphus College       St. Peter, MN 56082-1498
Source code never lies (it just misleads).  (Programming by Purloined Letter?)