Re: How to bounce mail

1996-02-14 16:18:17
Hi, I run a small domain that has the same prefix as a large ISP. Though
my site uses the ".com" suffix and theirs, the ".net", their thouands of
users repeatedly confuse my domain name for theirs. I consequently get
a large amount of unwanted mail which I wish to bounce.

I'm told that 'formail' will do the trick but I haven't found any
information on this module.

Rather than bounce it back to the sender, you might contact the
*.net ISP and ask them if they'd like you to forward the *.net mail
to them. Then you could do a "!" forward with procmail.

To be extra nice, you could autoreply a message to the sender
that you have very courteously forwarded their message to the
ISP and that they should change that email address from com to net.

I'll leave it to the experts to explain how to have formail do the
autoreply, although there have been quite a few messages about
autoreply lately...

Also you might use The Best of the Procmail Mailing list website
for further reference. This is a very handy resource.
http://www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~berg/archive/procmail/

dave