Re: uuencoding before automatic send

1996-04-02 09:16:58

I was very interested to see Philip Guenther's reply to
D. Emilio Grimaldo's querey concerning the fileserver
concept.  I have had it working for a while now, but have
been unsuccessful in getting binary files sent automatically,
ie uuencoding them first.

My function is thus:

  :0 ah
  | cat - ./$FILE 2>&1 | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

which is OK if $FILE is ASCII, how can I handle it if is binary?

I thought something like:

  :0 ah
  | cat - ./$FILE 2>&1 | uuencode $FILE | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

But that does not appear to work, any help would be appreciated.

You need to give sendmail the header information if you want it
to deliver properly. What you've got there is passing a uuencoded
file to sendmail, and expecting it to know how to deliver that file
without any addressing information. (Kinda like giving a postman
a blank envelope without a stamp and asking him to get it to the
right person. ;) )

Why not have the return file pre-encoded? and then build your rule
accordingly..

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University
                        doug(_at_)eng(_dot_)auburn(_dot_)edu
                Pro is to Con as progress is to congress