Re: unsubscribe

1996-04-03 07:58:08
On Wed, 3 Apr 96 08:51:39 EST, this dropped into my unsubscribe~ folder:
unsubscribe

Third time over in two or three days. You'd think it was an April
Fool's joke, but apparently not.
  (David: To get off the list, send your request to procmail-request,
not procmail. This is a standard convention for mailing lists.)

Here's the magic snippet from my .procmailrc -- maybe this list should
use it too? :-)
  Unflattering comments trimmed -- mostly they were about people who
make spelling errors, but i geuss nobodys prfect ;^)

    # Note: This is a very old Procmail with slightly painful syntax

    :2:
    <2000
    ^Subject: ((un)?sub?scribe|(sign|take( me | )?off)|cancel sub)
    unsubscribe~

    :2BD:       # D == case sensitive, B == scan message body
    <2000
    ^(UNSUB?SCR?IBE|SIGN ?OFF)
    unsubscribe~

    :2B:
    <1600
    ^ *unsub?scr?ibe
    unsubscribe~

    # No subject line
    :3HB:       # H == scan header (for no Subject); B == scan message body
    <2000
    !^Subject: .*
    (unsu(b?scr?ibe)?|sign ?off)
    unsubscribe~

More ideas for this recipe would be most welcome. In particular, I'm
not very happy about the byte counts, but they act as sort of a safety
measure.
  There's a bit of overlap in the recipes, I notice now. They've
developed over several months, and I've never really gotten down to
optimizing them.
  On the whole, I have found this to work fairly well, so far. And I'm
glad I've been keeping the incoming ones -- for me, it's enough to
know I'm in control of the situation. Now, reading unsub messages can
even be fun! (Because I can choose for myself when to read them. And
they're not eating any of my precious disk quota.)

/* era */

--
See <http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~reriksso/> for mantra, disclaimer, etc.