Re: ERROR! mail forwarded, but not kept locally!

1996-04-18 03:53:20

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

I have used this recipe for some time now, without error.  It was working
yesterday without error, except for one message.

---<snip>---

Is this the one in a million time that mail is "lost"?  Would a lockfile
have helped (no other messages came through at this time, not for about 10
minutes on either side)?

This is kinda scary...I just had a situation myself.  Stephen said
it was because someone subscribed the SmartMail list to the list itself
(which seems kinda dumb), resulting in some kind of "exploder".  In my
case, the mail ended up in the spool instead of going to the folder
as *normally* happens.

Fortunately I had the forwarded copy to read.... But I must admit it was a
littl scary that mail could vanish like that!  Still, I've filtered a lot
of mail with procmail, and a lot of mail with that receipe, and this is
the first hint of trouble (and no guarantee that it was procmail's fault).

Ditto...but am still wondering if any kind of "recipe rascal" is at work?

Eric Hilding
eric(_at_)quake(_dot_)garlic(_dot_)com
et.al.